Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What a racket!

OK, so we're redoing our deck and fence in the backyard. Being responsible citizens, we're following proper procedure and getting the right permits. What this means is we need paperwork from the county, the city, and WSSC (I think). No problem, wait... yes problem, each of these entities carries a fee and requires an inspection at various points in the project. What a stinking rip-off. I swear Maryland is one of the most money-grubbing states in the country. We're getting nickle and dimed at every turn in this project. Ridiculous. What really burns me is they're trying to bring in slots because there is no money for the schools. (Brilliant, create a gambling problem in a struggling economy. Great plan, huh?) How about we get rid of these nonsensical bureaucrats and channel THAT money into the schools? There would be more than enough to go around.

Ok, had to get that off my chest. In spite of governmental regulation the project is going very well. We even had some company out there today.


One of the reasons the deck got so bad is for the last five or six years we have had tenants. Usually a family of rabbits and for the last two years a family of groundhogs. Needless to say, I wouldn't let my husband tear up with deck with babies under it. This was the first year we had no wildlife. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the new family and the Lab they let run loose. I would be more upset about it but this is also the first time in a while I didn't have to call out animal control to deal with skunks under the shed. But I digress. This little guy hopped over pretty close and was gracious enough to wait until I got my camera.

I'm a sucker for the local animals. Two years ago a robin built her nest in our crabapple tree. Unfortunately for her, they were replacing the gutters on our street right around the time the eggs were hatching and the tree was very close to the street. It took some effort and some threats to contact the media but I was able to convince them to save us for last and that gave the babies time to grow enough to fly away. My husband thought I was nuts. I'm sure the city felt the same way. Whatever. Those three little birds at least got a chance.

The upgrade to the steampunk pictures is going well. I now know green isn't really that good of a background color. Oh well, sometimes you just have to try things and see how they'll work.

3 comments:

kim* said...

she's a sweet lil bunny

woolies said...

ahhhhh love bunnies, we have wild ones everywhere 'round here! I blogged about them not too long ago...

Unknown said...

hooray for Lily for saving the baby birds!
No, you don't live in the only state that makes you pay for every permit................
Cute bunny - sweet that she waited