Saturday, August 2, 2008

Molly

I can't believe I haven't mentioned Molly yet! Who's Molly? Here -


She's a six year old tortie-tabby shelter rescue. My youngest and I were at PetSmart earlier this week and decided to go over to the adoption center to see the kittens. All summer we've been trying to get a new kitten and it's just never worked out. While we were there, the grumpiest looking kitty ever made eye contact. She just sat there are stared at me. When I got close enough she reached through the bars of the cage to bat at my fingers and tried to pull my hand in to scratch her ears. Something about Molly's facial feature and coloring make her look likes she's always scowling.

It was love at first sight.

Despite her appearance, she is very mellow and fairly affectionate. She adjusted to Emily and I right away. She even tolerates my husband, something the other cats won't do. He's nice enough just a big guy. I took her to the vet for a check up Wednesday and it only took her about six hours to stop hating me. I'm supposed to put drops in her ears for the next two weeks but boy, that isn't going well. She lets me do it but won't come near me for the rest of the day. It's hard. She needs the drops but I don't want her getting an established routine of avoiding me. I'm ready to resort to bribery.

All in all, she's a wonderful kitty. Of course I don't know her story and I try not to jump to conclusions, there's no telling why she ended up in the shelter. It just makes me sick to think had they gotten there a day later, Molly might have been put down. From what I heard the shelters and rescues in my area are overwhelmed. This is the first time in a while they've had trouble placing the kittens. Spay and neuter, folks. A quick google search brought up this list of low/no cost spay and neuter programs - http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html . Let's not have any more like Molly.

No comments: